Home > Community > Event Planning > A-Z > Traffic Management

Traffic Management

Everyone attending your event will in some way use the highway, whether this is by car, cycling, via public transportation or as a pedestrian. The purpose of a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) is to consider how those journeys will be managed in the most effective way causing as little disruption to other road users as possible so that your event will be remembered for all the right reasons.

The size of your TMP will depend on the size of your event, a small local fete or fair may only be a few lines long, whereas an event like the Olympic torch relay could extend to several volumes. Once you have your TMP don’t try to reinvent it every year, assess if there have there been changes to the local road network in the area, is anything different from the last time you held your event? Did everything go well or were there any problems that you were aware of? Rest assured the travelling public are more than happy to tell KCC and/or DDC if they have been held up. In any case there should only be small changes, allowing you to develop your plan over a number of years.

The event notification form asks you if you require a road closure, if you do you will need to list all the roads you would like to close and other roads that might be affected by those closures. You will need to be precise in your description so that everyone knows exactly where you are closing the road and exactly what is happening. If your event is successful and in time grows in size and attendance you may need to consider employing a Traffic Management Consultant, you can also speak to other event organisers to understand what they do, it may not be as expensive as you think and could relieve the stress of planning.

For all road closures or events that impact upon the highway, KCC require a Traffic Management Plan. The key areas are covered in the event management plan document so you don’t need to submit a separate document. For road closures you just need to say what you intend to do and how you intend to achieve it. Obviously, the larger the event the more information you will need to provide.  You will also need to provide details of what signs you intend to use and where you intend to place them; this is called the signage schedule and is part of the traffic management plan.

These documents must be submitted for a road closure application


  • Road closures - Tell us what roads you’d like to close for your event, remember you will need to be precise with the locations. Some road closures are made by district authorities and there may be charges.
  • Communication - You will need to be able to communicate with your Marshals and they will need to communicate with you to provide up to date information, or traffic problems. This can either be by mobile phone or radio, you need to include this in your traffic management plan, it would also be part of your overall command and control structure. Don’t forget to test reception before the event!
  • Diversion Routes - Having diversions will depend on a number of things, what sort of roads will you want to close, the day of the week or is there a viable route, remember if you are diverting large vehicles then your diversion route must be suitable for that type of vehicle.
  • Weather conditions - Will inclement weather conditions affect your event; if vehicles are parked off road is the ground suitable or are vehicles likely to get stuck? You might want to consider how you would tell the public if it is necessary for you to cancel the event.
  • Event parking - You will also need to think about how pedestrians and cars will interact, will pedestrians need to cross the road to get to your event
  • Traffic Routes - What roads do you expect visitors to your event to use, where will your visitors be coming from? Are these roads suitable or should they be using a different route to access your event, also consider appropriate signage
  • Traffic Dispersal Post Event - Consider the routes to be used to get your visitors to the main road network will this need sign-posting or additional measures
  • Local Residents and Businesses - Local business may need access to their premises during your event; local residents will need to access their property. Keep everyone informed so that they understand what’s happening; you should try and minimise any disruption in the area of your event.
  • Entry to the event - Problems often occur where payment is requested at or near the vehicle entrance, traffic may back up onto the road cause problems and traffic disruption, consider moving any pay points as far away from the road as possible or offer free parking and visitors pay before admission.
  • Roads, Public Rights of Way and Bridleways - When planning your Event, you must consider which roads, paths and bridleways may be affected. You are not permitted to close any public roads, paths and bridleways without lawful authority. If you want to close any of these you need to give at least 12 weeks’ notice to the road works team for a road closure and in the case of a Public Right of Way (PROW) to the PROW team.
  • Highway Directional Signing - What signs will be used and where? What will the signs say? Who will erect and maintain the signs? What publicity will be used?
  • When you place traffic management, cones or signs, it is classed as working on the highway and you will need to consider how this task will be completed.  You will need to consider the physical ability, age and experience of those undertaking the work.  KCC are the authority that will give you permission to place your signs and cones.
  • Traffic control - On the public highway only a Police Officer in uniform can control traffic or someone with a CSAS qualification. Marshals and Stewards do not have the authority to control traffic on the public highway.
  • Public Transport - Getting to and from the event should be made as easy as possible. There are a range of options that you may consider. For example, talk to public transport operators at an early stage (Bus, Train, Taxi providers), it may be possible to increase the frequency of buses, or increase the capacity of trains. Free buses may be an alternative, depending on the numbers of people you expect to attend. If your event is expecting significant attendance, Park & Ride or Park & Walk are options that should be considered and car parks should not be limited to the immediate event site. It is recognised that the majority of people will wish to use their own transport and sufficient capacity should be provided at the entrance to, and within the site to avoid any unnecessary delays on the public highway.
  • On street parking restrictions and Car Park Closures – applications should be made to the local authority for consideration.
  • Signage - Does the closure or diversion clash with any road works or other highway activity in the vicinity of the event?  You can log on to www.roadworks.org to find out if there are any roadwork’s on in your area, it’s worth checking before you plan your event as some utilities plan works many months in advance. Early notification of your event will allow the roadwork’s team to coordinate with the contractors and hopefully cause minimal impact to your event.
  • Placing signs on the highway - You will be required to provide a sign schedule clearly stating the legend, where signs are to be positioned, how they will be placed (on a frame or fixed to street furniture). The sign schedule must be approved by the roadwork’s team before any signs are erected on the highway.
  • Diversion Route - Does the diversion route need to have a traffic regulation order changed for the duration of the closure e.g. one way street? If you require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) you should apply to the roadwork’s team not less than 12 weeks prior to your event. This is a legal process and your application must be advertised, there is also a cost implication for you.