Home > Customer Services > Complaints > If you are unhappy

If you are unhappy

What to do if you are unhappy with a Council service

If you would like find out more about the complaints process, please read our Corporate Complaints Policy.

A shorter dedicated leaflet is also available.

Stage1 - To the Department

The people who can best deal with any problems you have are those who directly provide the service. If you are not happy with the way you have been treated by the Council, you should contact the Department concerned. 

In many cases it will be possible to deal with your complaint straightaway and a telephone call to let you know we have resolved your problem may be enough. If not it may be appropriate to write and tell you what action we have taken or to explain the position. The Department concerned will aim to respond to you within 10 working days. If the matter cannot be resolved in that time, you should get a letter explaining why not and giving you a new deadline.

What to do next...

Stage 2 - To the Corporate Services Officer

If you are unhappy with the outcome of Stage 1, you can take the matter further and ask that a member of the Corporate Services Team consider the matter. They will aim to respond within 20 working days.


Make a Complaint Now »

Alternatively call 01304 872322 or email: complaints@dover.gov.uk

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

We hope our procedure will resolve any problems you may have with the way our services are provided but if you are still dissatisfied you can make a complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is an independent service which investigates complaints against councils. You can complain to the Ombudsman at any time however, where possible the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman likes to give councils a chance to resolve complaints themselves before he becomes involved.

contact details are:

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

PO Box 4771

Coventry CV4 0EH

Tel: 0300 061 0614

Website: www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint

Text 'call back' to 0762 480 4299


Housing Management Service

If your complaint is for the Housing Management Service, there is a slightly different process. You can find out more here

How we learn from compliments and complaints

We process and analyse our compliments and complaints and use them as a tool to improve our services.