Home > Environment > Energy Advice > Energy FAQs

Energy FAQs

Having difficulty understanding your energy bill?

Click here for a guide to help you better understand your energy bill.

What is the price cap?

The price cap is set by the energy regulator, Ofgem. The level of the energy price cap is based on typical household energy use (the amount you pay will depend on actual household usage and where you live as well as meter and payment type).

This is reviewed and updated by Ofgem every three months based on the latest estimated costs of supplying energy.

The current price cap for 1 January 2024 - 31 March 2024 is £1,928 a year for a typical household who use gas and electricity and pay by Direct Debit. 

For more information and details about the price cap please visit Energy price cap | Ofgem.

How can I find the best deal for the supply of Gas and Electricity?

  • Business Consumers
    Hints and tips that will help businesses compare deals and switch to a new supplier can be found on the Ofgem Website
  • Domestic Consumers
    Join Dover District Council's Collective Energy Switching Scheme.  Switching together could save you money. Further details of the scheme can be found on the Energy Switching page.
    Accredited comparison sites can be found on the Ofgem (Office of Gas and Electricity Markets) website.  

 How do I change supplier?

Once you are happy that you have selected the supplier best suited to meet your needs, changing is a relatively simple process.

  • Step 1: Get in touch with the new supplier and agree a contract with them. Once the contract is agreed, the transfer process should take about six weeks to complete. Your new supplier will keep you informed about how your transfer is being progressed.
  • Step 2: Give your old supplier 28 days notice that you are changing to a new supplier. We advise that you do this initially by telephone and follow it up with written confirmation. If you do not tell your old supplier that you are changing, this can disrupt or delay your transfer to the new supplier.
  • Step 3: Pay any outstanding bills owing to your existing supplier. If you do not, they may prevent you from transferring.
  • Step 4: Take a meter reading on the day you change supplier. If your old supplier does not use it to work out your final bill, or your new supplier does not use it as the starting point for your first bill, let them know the meter reading you have taken.

I’ve signed a contract for a new Gas and Electricity supply

If an energy company representative called at your home, you have 7 days to cancel the contract unless the company gives you longer.

If the agreement is verbal over the telephone, you have 7 days from the date you receive written confirmation.

When you cancel a contract always put it in writing, and keep a copy of the letter.

I don't think my Gas or Electricity bill is correct - what can I do?

Check the meter reading and compare it with the reading on the bill. If the reading is different, contact your supplier and give them the actual reading so they can send you an adjusted bill.

If you think your meter is faulty, you can ask your supplier to arrange an independent check - there may be a charge for this.

If you can't afford to pay contact your supplier you may be able to pay in instalments.

How can I find out who supplies the Gas and Electricity to my new home?

You can find your Gas supplier by ringing the Gas Network Identity Line: 0870 608 1524

You can find out who your Electricity supplier is by contacting your local electricity distribution company.  For the south east area it is EDF Distribution SE 0800 783 8866

How can I reduce my Gas and Electricity bills?

First check that your supplier is offering you the best deal - see if you could save money by switching your supplier or change your payment method. Secondly by making your home more energy efficient you can reduce your energy bills.

If you would like more energy efficiency information contact the Energy Saving Trust Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 (calls charged at national rates).  Or look on their website www.energysavingtrust.org.uk.

How can I find information about water?

The following companies provide water services in this district:

If you suffer hardship because you need to use large volumes of water for essential purposes (such as treatment of a medical condition) you may be entitled to assistance through the WaterSure Scheme (formerly the Vulnerable Household Scheme).

In order to qualify you need to:

  • have a metered water supply
  • be in receipt of certain benefits,


  • be responsible for 3 or more children under the age of 19 and in full-time education and living in the property, or
  • have (or someone living in the property must have) a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water.

If you believe that you may qualify you should contact your water company for more details and an application form.

Contact Us

Tel: 01304 872414

E-mail: energy@dover.gov.uk