Dog Warden


Report a Stray Dog

What if I find a stray dog?

If you find a dog on its own in a public place and it is safe to do so, check the identity tag on the collar and, if possible, make arrangements with the owner for the dog to be returned.

If there is no identity tag please secure the dog (only if it is safe to do so) and contact us on:

  1. 01304 872289 (weekdays 9am to 4.30pm)
  2. 01304 821199 (out of office hours including weekends and bank holidays)

Tell us as much as you can about the dog:

  • Where and when you found it
  • Breed
  • Colour
  • Sex
  • Name 
  • Distinguishing marks

What we will do

An officer will contact you to arrange collection of the dog.  Please note if outside of office hours (including weekends and bank holidays) the officer will need to make arrangements to meet you at the DDC offices at Whitfield.

The dog will be scanned for a microchip so that we can try and make contact with the owner or we will place the dog in kennels.

Report a Lost Dog

What do I do if I have lost my dog?

If you have lost your dog please contact us on:

  1. 01304 872289 (weekdays 9am to 4.30pm)
  2. 01304 821199 (out of office hours including weekends and bank holidays)

Please provide us with the following information:

  • Your name, address and contact number
  • Location, date and time lost
  • A detailed description of your dog

What we will do

We will speak to our Dog Warden to find out if the dog has been reported to us.

If the dog has not already been reported to us our Dog Warden will be made aware that the dog is missing.

How do I get my dog back?

If your dog has been seized by our officers as a stray and placed in kennels we will need details of where and when the dogs was lost.  We will also require proof of ownership/keepership that can include:

  • Vaccination certificates
  • Written confirmation from a vet registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
  • Pedigree certification
  • Receipt of purchase from a licenced breeder
  • Pet insurance certificate
  • Microchip certificate
  • Vet bills or records

Please note that if inadequate proof is produced the dog will not be released; this is to protect the dog and the legal keeper of the dog. 

If we are satisfied you are the owner you will be notified of the stray dogs fees that must be paid in full before the dog can returned. 

Should any veterinary costs be incurred whilst the dog is in our care you will also be required to pay these in full.

Type of service Amount to be paid
Processing Fee including Statutory Government Fee £100.00
Kennelling Fee (per day) -  Maximum 7 days £30.00
Out of Hours Fee -  If the dog is taken to kennels outside of normal working hours £75.00


Payment can be made to Customer Services on 01304 872289 (weekdays 9am to 4.30pm).

When full payment has been made our Dog Warden will contact you to make arrangements for the dog to be returned.


Dog Fouling

Apart from the obvious unpleasant effects of dog fouling there are potential health risks.


The laws have changed

  • By law all dogs must be microchipped from the age of 8 weeks.  If your dog does not have a microchip, or your details are not recorded on an approved database, you may be served a 21 day notice.  Failing to comply could see a fine of up to £500.
  • Also by law all dogs must wear a collar and tag, with their owner’s name, address and telephone number on.
  • A microchip is a very small electronic device, which is coded with a unique number that can be read by a scanner and entered into a central database.  If your dog strays, the Local Authority, Vet or Animal Welfare organisation will be able to scan your dog and contact the database to trace ownership.  
  • Remember to update the microchipping company if you move address or change telephone numbers
  • We offer a microchipping service for a fee of £15.00 per dog.  To make payment and to book a microchipping appointment please call 01304 872289 or visit book a microchipping appointment.

Dog Control

Every dog must wear a collar and tag with its owner’s name and address when in a public place. It is an offence for a dog to be in a field with livestock without being on a lead or some other form of control. A landowner or anyone acting on their behalf, is entitled to shoot any dog if they believe it is the only reasonable way of stopping it worrying livestock. Cases where a dog is out of control and/or worrying livestock should be reported to Kent Police.

Dangerous Dogs

It is an offence to:

  • allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place
  • allow a dog to be dangerously out of control within private property

Any dog is dangerously out of control if:

  • it injures a person, or
  • it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them

If your dog injures another person's animal, or an owner of an animal reasonably believes that they could be injured if they intervened to protect their animal from your dog, then an offence may be committed.

If you do not keep it under control, your dog could be destroyed and you could be banned from keeping a dog or you might be ordered to keep it muzzled when taking it for a walk.

If you have suffered injuries as a result of an incident involving a dog, were in fear of suffering from an injury or you believe a dog to have been dangerously out of control please contact Kent Police to report the incident by telephoning 101.  If the police advise you to contact us please refer to The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and ask them to deal with your report. If there is an immediate risk of harm or your life is in danger, call 999. 

Prohibited Types of Dog

In addition the Dangerous Dogs Act prohibits four types of dogs from being bred, sold or owned in England and Wales. These dogs are:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro 

Owners of these banned breeds can apply to the court for their dog to be exempted from the ban if they are deemed not to be a risk to the public. Alternatively the court could order for the dog to be destroyed and the owner could face prosecution.

Owners of suspected banned dogs should be reported directly to Kent Police by telephoning 101. 

 Please note that from 31 December 2023 it will be against the law to: 

  • sell an XL Bully dog 
  • abandon an XL Bully dog or let it stray 
  • give away an XL Bully dog 
  • breed from an XL Bully dog 
  • have an XL Bully dog in public without a lead and muzzle 

From 1 February 2024 it will be a criminal offence to own an XL Bully dog in England and Wales unless your dog has a valid Certificate of Exemption.

Further information can be found on the following weblinks

Guidance apply-for-a-certificate-of-exemption-to-keep-an-xl-bully-dog

Guidance prepare-for-the-ban-on-xl-bully-dogs   

Dogs Locked in Cars

Do not leave your dog in a parked car, even for a few minutes - even if it seems cool outside it can become very hot very quickly. Parking in the shade and/or keeping the windows down does not make it safe!

If you see a dog in distress in a parked car call Kent Police on 101 or the RSPCA on 0300 123 4999.

Make sure you have a supply of water and know where you can stop off en-route for water breaks. Dogs are not able to cool down as effectively as humans so could suffer from heat stroke and dehydration very quickly.


For information relating to noise / dog barking please visit the following link:

Rehoming a Stray Dog

We do not offer a rehoming service for unwanted pets. However there are several organisations that can help rehome an unwanted dog. Each will have different procedures so please check before taking an animal to them.

Below are just a few charities that may be able to take on an unwanted dog:

Dog Bins

Dog Control Areas

A Public Spaces Protection order is in place and requires dogs to be kept on leads in some areas and also bans dogs from some beaches and play/sport locations. Breach of the PSPO may result in the issue of a fixed penalty notice of £100 (reduced to £75 if paid within 10 days). Payment of this penalty discharges the liability to prosecution.

For further information on our Public Spaces Protection Order including where it applies please visit our Public Spaces Protection Order webpage: