Home > Planning > Building Control > Guidance > Do I need Building Regulation approval?

Do I need Building Regulation approval?

Building Regulations approval is needed for most construction projects:

  • New Buildings
    • All new buildings except agricultural buildings
    • Garages that are not fully detached and under 30 square metres
  • Extensions
    • All extensions no matter how small
    • Some conservatories and porches  - many are exempt but these must be separated from the house by doors and can’t be heated)
    • Roof extensions, balconies and  roof terraces
    • Basements and basement extensions
  • Conversions
    • All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and  roof terraces
    • All garage conversions
    • Barn conversions
    • Subdividing a house into flats
    • Converting flats back into a house
  • Alterations
    • Creating a ‘granny annex’
    • Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
    • Installing a new kitchen
    • Taking out a loadbearing wall – you need to ask a structural engineer to confirm that your wall isn’t supporting the walls, floors or roof above it
    • Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing
    • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
    • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
    • Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
    • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
    • Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
    • Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower replacement window and door units
    • Installing roof lights
    • Making windows or doors wider or taller
    • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
    • Replacing your floor

Some work can be carried out without informing Building Control if you're using a registered installer from a competent persons scheme, including the following:

  • Most repairs, replacements and maintenance work (except replacements of combustion appliances, oil tanks, electrical fuse boxes or glazing units which do need to be notified)
  • Additional power points or lighting points or any other alterations to existing circuits (except around baths and showers)
  • Like for like replacements of baths, toilets, windows, basins or sinks. 




LABC Guidance
, the Local Authority Building Control website


Planning Portal Logo
Planning Portal
, an interactive guidance system


Contact Building Control

Tel: 01304 872495

Email: buildingcontrol@dover.gov.uk