Who can get Council Tax Support?
Who can apply?
You can apply for Council Tax Support whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.
You may get Council Tax Support if you
- live at the property
- pay Council Tax; and
- have a low income, or are entitled to a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service.
Who can’t get Council Tax Support?
You can’t get Council Tax Support if you are:
- not the householder, or the person responsible to pay Council Tax
- of working age and have more than £6,000 in savings
- of pension age and have more than £16,000 in savings, unless you receive guaranteed Pension Credit; or
- are excluded from receiving public funds, due to your status in the UK
For Council Tax Support, pension age means anyone who has reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit.
Most asylum seekers and people sponsored to be in the UK can't get Council Tax Support.
Full-time students can't usually get Council Tax Support, but may get a student Council Tax discount.
Phone: 01304 872199