Apply for a premises licence

You will need a premises licence if your business provides any of the following:

  • alcohol
  • hot food or hot drinks between 11pm-5am
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • performances of dance and/or plays
  • filming of events
  • indoor sporting events, including boxing or wrestling entertainment

If any of the activities listed above are held without a licence then you may be liable to a fine on prosecution of £20,000, six months imprisonment or both.

If you sell alcohol you will also need a personal licence for your 'designated premises supervisor' (the person responsible for the sale of alcohol). 

Cost of a premises licence

Non-domestic rateable valueBand A£0 to £4,300 Band B£4,300  to £33,000Band C£33,001 to £87,000Band D£87,001 to £125,000Band E£125,001and over
New Application and variation £100 £190 £315 £450 £635
Multiplier used for premises exclusively or primarily used for consumption of alcohol on the premises NA NA NA x2 (£900) x3 (£1,905)
Annual Fee £70 £180 £295 £320 £350
Annual fee multiplier for premises exclusively or primarily used for consumption of alcohol on the premises NA NA NA x2 (£640) x3 (£1,050)



  • Copies of your application
  • Licensing Objectives
    • You must complete Part P of the application detailing what steps you will take to actively promote the Licensing Objectives (our  Licensing policy gives guidance). This will be used to form conditions which will attach to your licence.
  • Plans
    You must provide 1:100 scale plans to show: 
    • Extent of the building and licensed outside areas Location of exits
    • Location of each licensable activity (sale of alcohol and hot food after 11pm and regulated entertainment)
    • Areas where alcohol is to be consumed
    • Any fixed structures and furniture that affects escape routes Location and type of fire extinguishers and other safety equipment location of kitchens
  • Advertising
    • You must notify the general public of your application by advertising in a local newspaper which is in circulation in your area. The advertisement must be placed within 10 working days of submitting your licence application to the Council. Proof of this should be sent to us (this can be emailed to
    • You must also place a notice of at least A4 size using size 16 font, in a prominent position at or on your premises where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises. This must be clearly printed on light blue paper. 
      A sample advert template.
    • The notice must be displayed for not less than 28 days, beginning the day after the day on which the application is submitted.
    • Premises covering an area of more than 50 metres square must display a notice every 50 metres along the exterior perimeter of the premises abutting the highway.


If your application is unopposed the licence will be granted and issued to you after the consultation period has elapsed.

Responsible Authorities (including the Licensing Authority) and any other person may make a representation about your application within the consultation period. Should this happen we will contact you.

In the event of representations being received, the application and the representations will be considered by a meeting of the Licensing Sub Committee within 20 working days from the end of the consultation period.

All parties to the Hearing have a Right of Appeal.