Home > Customer Services > Gateway > Gateway Services

Gateway Services

Dover District Council Services

Environment »

Housing Benefits »

Parking Services »

Council Tax/National Non-Domestic Rates »

Waste Services »

Kent County Council Services

Available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, KCC are here for help and advice and to report on Blue Badges, Highways and all other KCC enquiries. Visit the Kent County Council website for full details of services offered.

Blue Badge Scheme »

The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport. The badge enables holders to park close to where they need to go. The scheme operates throughout the UK, and is administered by local authorities who deal with the applications and issue the badges.

Blue Badge holders can park closer to shops, banks, entrances to hospitals and supermarkets etc. People who hold Blue Badges are exempt from the Congestion Charge and some toll crossing charges. They are also able to park for free in some car parks at the discretion of the car park operator but they would need to check signs in the car parks. Blue Badges are issues to people with a permanent and substantial disability that affects their mobility - they do not have to be the driver of the car they are travelling in.

The Department for Transport has full information about the law and Blue Badges; there is also information available on the KCC website - Apply online for your Blue Badge

To make an appointment for assistance for completing an application for a Blue Badge, please contact the KCC Contact Centre on 03000 41 62 62

Community Warden »

Community Wardens aim to help the people of Kent to live safely and independently in their neighbourhoods and communities. They provide a visible uniformed presence to tackle anti-social behaviour. Many wardens are regarded as the focal point for the communities they serve and their mobile phone numbers are accessible to all.

Telephone: 03000 41 41 41

Concessionary Fares »

From 1st April 2011 Kent County Council will be coordinating the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) for Kent. The scheme provides free off-peak travel on local bus services across England for older people and the disabled. To benefit from the scheme, an eligible resident needs to apply to KCC for a free bus pass.

ENCTS passes can be used for travel anytime between 9.30am until 11pm Monday to Friday, and at any time weekends and bank holidays.

To apply for a bus pass, customers need to provide their details along with proof of eligibility and a suitable photograph. Apply online for your bus pass.

Telephone: 03000 41 83 83

Education and Young People's Services »

Working with children, young people and families who need support and advice in the area of education. We can help with or signpost to a variety of things including finding school, college or pre-school places, out of school activities, providing a link between families and schools.

Telephone: 03000 41 21 21

Kent Contact and Assessment Service (KCAS) »

Kent Adult Social Services has a responsibility to assist people who need support in their daily lives whether short or long term. We provide services to help maintain or increase people’s independence and help them lead more fulfilling lives.

Kent Contact Assessment Service (KCAS) is the main access point for people wanting to contact Kent Adult Social Services either about themselves or someone else. KCAS can provide the following services;

  • Information, advice and guidance on a broad range of services in your community and elsewhere
  • Initial contact assessments to find out if you are eligible for support from Kent Adult Social Services
  • Support with on-line self-assessment
  • Occupational Therapy equipment and minor adaptations. Enablement Service
  • Urgent care services (from April 2010)

In addition the following equipment is available to trial with professional support:

  • Stair lift
  • Bathing equipment
  • Riser/Recliner Chair
  • Bed Equipment
  • Toileting/shower Equipment

Telephone: 03000 41 61 61

Kent Highways Services »

Kent's road network consists of over 5,000 miles of roads and 4,000 miles of pavement. As well as routine maintenance we also respond to reactive maintenance requests from members of the public, Police, Community Wardens, and members of staff. Anything that will have any effect on a public road or pavement will be dealt with by Kent Highway Services.

Fixing potholes, dropped kerb applications, faulty street lights and broken paving slabs on a Public Highway are just a small number of the many enquiries Kent Highway Services deal with. They also deal with trees and vegetation, traffic regulation orders, licences, road works and permanent & temporary traffic lights. Full details can be found on the Kent County Council website -  Report or track Highways or street lighting problems online.

Telephone: 03000 41 81 81

Kent Support and Assistance Service (KSAS) »

KSAS may be able to provide short term help if a customer have no other means of support and if they need support to:

  • cope with an emergency
  • remain in the community rather than moving into care
  • return to the community after being in care or in an institution

When an application is successful, the support offered will be in goods or services, for example:

  • groceries
  • items of clothing
  • goods for young children (such as nappies or formula)
  • household appliances and re-used furniture
  • household items (such as bedding)

Apply for assistance online or please call 0300 333 5700 or if you would like someone to contact you, email ksas@kent.gov.uk giving your name and a contact telephone number

Kent Supported Employment »

Kent Supported Employment supports disadvantaged people into employment.

This free service includes:

  • Accurate skills matching of clients to vacancies
  • Providing support at interview and inductions
  • Full health and safety risk assessment with recommendations for adjustments
  • Job coaching in the work place where necessary
  • Signposting to funding for reasonable adjustments under the Disability Discrimination Act and training grants
  • On-going support to assist people to develop in their roles to take on new responsibilities
  • Support for employers to help retain existing staff with a disability

Contact: Sophie Hartson -  Queens House, Guildhall Street, Folkestone CT20 1DX
Telephone: 01303 224266

Registrar - Births, Deaths and Marriages »

The Registration Service in Kent is responsible for the registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships occurring within the county. It licenses venues where civil marriages and civil partnerships may be conducted and registered and provides citizenship, baby welcoming and renewal of vows ceremonies. Appointments must be booked in advance by calling 0300 333 5430, by visiting www.kent.gov.uk or by coming in to the Gateway and speaking to a member of the Meet & Greet Team.

Young Person's Travel Pass (formerly Kent Freedom pass) »

The Young Person's Travel Pass allows students to travel on any public bus in Kent at any time on any day for an annual fee. It is one of the most generous travel passes of it's kind outside of London and is wholly funded by KCC.

Apply for a Travel Pass online or for more information and payment details, visit the KCC website.

Partner Services

Bechange »

A charity working with adults who need support to make a lasting change to reach positive futures. Bechange works with communities throughout the Dover District providing support with skills and employment, finance and housing, families and relationships.

Email: enquiries@bechange.org
Telephone: 01304 840134  

Children and Families Information Service »

CFIS provides high quality information to parents, prospective parents, grandparents and practitioners

Email: kentcfis@kent.gov.uk

Telephone: 03000 41 23 23, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except bank holidays).

Citizens Advice Bureau » 

The Citizens Advice service provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.  

Citizens Advice operates nationally and each individual Citizens Advice Bureau is a registered charity with over 20,000 volunteers.  It needs to raise funds to provide these vital services. The majority of the advisers are trained volunteers, helping people to resolve over 5.5 million problems every year.

Drop-in appointments are available at the Gateway on the day on Mondays (from 01/04/2019) and Tuesdays each week between 9.15am and 12.15pm.

Counselling Directory »

The Counselling Directory provides information on the different types of therapy and counselling that is available and connects people with counsellors and psychotherapists in the area.


CXK (formerly Connexions Kent & Medway) is a charity which empowers young people and adults to maximise their potential.  They:

  • provide careers advice and practical support in jobs and training
  • help people learn new skills, gain qualifications, experience positive influences and improve their employability
  • provide targeted support to vulnerable young people in Kent


DDC's Housing Management Service »

At the Gateway we can advise on:

  • tenancy queries
  • repairs
  • neighbour nuisance
  • anti-social behaviour
  • mutual exchanges and transfers
  • estate enquiries
  • any other housing related issues

Any queries that cannot be dealt with may be redirected to other departments within the Council.

This service is open to tenants, leaseholders and non tenants.

Epilepsy HERE » 

Help and assist clients with all aspects of epilepsy, benefits available, provide literature and a confidential help line with an answer phone service.

Contact via email at herebay@aol.com or call 01227 360207

One You Service (formerly Health Trainers)

FREE one-to-one support for

  • Emotional wellbeing
  • Healthy eating
  • Exercise
  • Losing weight
  • Sexual health concerns
  • Stopping smoking
  • Drug and alcohol issues
  • Accessing local services

Telephone: 0300 123 1220 (option 3)
Email: eck-pct.healthtrainers@nhs.net

HiKent »

Kent’s award-winning deaf charity, dedicated to helping anyone who has a hearing loss.

HiKent provides FREE hearing aid aftercare for people with hearing aids that have been supplied via the NHS. The aftercare comprises:
  • Cleaning of the hearing aids
  • Re-tubing of the aids
  • Supplying and fitting new batteries
  • Advice and Support to help maximise the benefit from the aids and on strategies to cope with hearing loss
  • Referral to other free local support including Hi Kent’s free lipreading classes
  • Signposting to other sources of local help

Drop in service available every 2nd Tuesday of the month between 11am and 12pm

Information, Advice and Support Kent »

A service for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

This service provides a service to children, young people up to the age of 25 with SEND and also to their parents.

Contact can be made via the confidential helpline 03000 41 30 00 or via email to iask@kent.gov.uk

Kent Family Mediation Service »

FREE mediation and FREE legal advice are offered from a Family Solicitor to clients who are eligible for Legal Aid. They also offer transparent FIXED FEES for clients who don't qualify for Legal Aid or who choose to pay privately - this can include legal advice from one of the Kent Family Fixed Fee Solicitor members.

To contact KFMS direct please email contact@kentfms.co.uk or ring 01795 410 457. There is also a self-referral system available.

Migrant Help » 

Migrant Help EU Migrant Advice Service provides advice and support to EU nationals on employment, health, housing, education, benefits, rights and responsibilities.

Porchlight » 

Porchlight is a Kent based homeless charity. They can advice on benefits, housing and tenancy sustainment. If you are homeless or in temporary accommodation please ring the Kent Outreach Service freephone helpline on 0800 567 7699.

Royal British Legion »

The Royal British Legion is the UK's leading Service charity. They provide practical care, advice and support to serving members of the Armed Forces, veterans of all ages and their families.

Sanctuary Floating Support »

Floating Support helps people tackle all kinds of issues; from rent arrears and benefits issues to activities that reduce social isolation. This support enables people to sustain their tenancies, find the services they need and build a better life for themselves within their community.

Each client is supported by an experienced  project worker who helps them focus on their strengths, abilities and dreams for the future.

Support hours vary according to each person’s requirements and are gradually reduced over time as the client’s support needs lessen. However, contact between the client and staff continues, and can be fully reinstated if the client feels they need more help.

Shelter »

Shelter provides free legal advice and advocacy at a specialist level on all aspects of Housing, Welfare Benefit and Debt problems.

Shepway and Dover Mediation »

Shepway and Dover Mediation are the local mediation service who specialise in supporting neighbours who are having problems . These could range from anti-social behaviour, parking problems , noise,dogs barking and other day to day problems. The mediators will support you and your neighbours to resolve the difficulties without taking sides or telling anyone what to do.  They will help both parties to reach a agreement that is fair and beneficial to all. This is a free service open to the residents of Dover and Shepway. Please call 01303 227296 or email shepwaymed@lineone.net

Speakup CIC »

SpeakUpCIC provides help and support to mental health service users.  Their work is delivered by people who have a real understanding of what it is like to live with mental distress.

Stop Smoking Service (Kent)

The Stop Smoking Service offers:

  • Quit Clubs
  • rolling groups
  • drop-ins
  • 1-2-1 counselling
  • web-based services

Telephone: 0300 123 1220 (option 1)
Email: kcht.sss@nhs.net 

Turn2us »

Turn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.

Their website can help you find financial support, quickly and easily, based on your circumstances. It features a free and easy to use Benefits Calculator, Grants Search and other information and resources.

Helpline: 0808 802 2000 (free on most mobile networks)

Victim Support »

A national charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected across England and Wales.

Appointments available every Tuesday from 1pm to 4pm - contact the number below for further information and advice.

Supportline: 0845 30 30 900

Volunteer Centre, Dover »

Volunteering can be a leisure activity or provide work experience or the chance to update or maintain existing skills. The Volunteer Centre can identify the type of volunteering that best suits your availability and interests.  They can help with training and support to make the most of your volunteering experience.

Information Line: 01304 367898 or email: info@kcv.org.uk